Monday, December 20, 2010

One Step Closer to Peritoneal Dialysis

Today I had my peritoneal catheter externalized.  On December 3rd I had the peritoneal catheter placed, during the surgical procedure, surgeons implanted the catheter into the peritoneal cavity and imbedded it into muscle tissue.  The rationale for imbedding the catheter and not leaving any outside of the body is so that the muscle tissue will grow around two cuffs and provide a strong anchor for the catheter. This was different than my first experience with peritoneal dialysis, so I found it very interesting.  The hope, is that with such a firm anchor and since the body has been introduced to the catheter there will be less incidence of infection  (call peritonitis).  With today's procedure they numbed the skin and palpated the abdomen (pushed on my stomach) to located the end of the catheter. Once that was located, it took some convincing, but finally the end was flipped out and attached to the connector tubing.  The whole procedure too less than 30 minutes -- it was relatively painless (slight stinging with the local and pressure flipping out the end).  So, now with the catheter coiled on my stomach I have a constant reminder that I will soon be able to begin the training for PD. 

Above, I've posted pictures of my prior to externalization and post externalization.  The first photo show the incision and endoscopic 'stab wounds' for implanting the catheter  the second photo show the catheter outside the body.  No stunt doubles were used :)

No comments:

Post a Comment