Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Attitude Adjustments - Aisle 8


Some days my world is incredibly small – population me.  Yesterday started out as one of those days. Every few weeks the In-Center nursing staff rotate their chair assignments so that they are familiar with all the dialysis patients – Why is this significant?  Well, to some it wouldn’t matter, but it takes time to break in a nurse that has never stuck my fistula – those first few times, in my limited experience – are painful.  I was already uptight after last week’s bleeding episode.  My world shrinks every so much when I place my focus on myself – I become really short-sided. 

Yesterday’s world news reported the use of chemical weapons in the Middle East & a successful lung transplant for a young girl – but the Headlines in my life included – a painful needle stick, followed by a blood pressure that bottomed-out and my site bleeding.  I’m pretty sure you won’t find any of those latter topics on FOX News, but it really consumed my thoughts yesterday morning. 

I left dialysis & stopped at the grocery store – While I was waiting on an order to be filled a lady behind the counter indicated towards my fistula ( I thought this was going to be my opportunity to use one of my new comebacks – ‘ oh, this? Snake bite. Big Snake.’)  But then she asked if she had seen me at dialysis.  She told me her sister was a dialysis patient & that she had seen me when she took her sister.  She began to tell me of her sister – on dialysis now after many years of being diabetic & being a cancer survivor.  Her next comment was, ‘ It takes a lot of faith’. 

Christ is just as sovereign & gracious & in-control on my bad days.  He isn’t surprised or set off-balance when I lose my focus & become short-sided.  And how awesome He is to remind me in such unexpected ways – that woman was God’s reminder of His faithfulness – My world opened up yesterday, when I shifted my focus back to the ONE it deserves to be set upon – I found God’s blessings for me at the meat market!

No comments:

Post a Comment