Friday, August 29, 2014

Approaching Normal

Wow! I can't believe it's been three weeks since my transplant!  I had my first nearly normal socialization this week - an outdoor pool party.  The transplant team had some major reservations about my attendance, but being that the setting was outdoors, they considered my request, I had to do some major cajoling, bargaining and finally, after promising them all, but my first born, they conceded.  I promised I would be as pasty-white leaving the pool party as when I arrived (slathered on the SPF50 and dressed for fall) to combat my new photosensitivity. I also promised that all parts of me would avoid the pool and I wouldn't eat any food (that whole germ/ buffet concern).  A lot of conditions but it was SO worth it!

Getting used to a new normal hasn't been a seamless transition - I'm still getting used to a new routine - keeping close tabs on my vitals, drinking enough to make a camel proud (and also be the envy of every dialysis patient), steering clear of people (air hugs just aren't as satisfying as a real squeeze) and getting weekly lab work.  Speaking of lab work - just a quick bit of friendly advice to any medical service providers - telling your perspective pin cushion, 2 weeks post transplant (and massive steroid infusions) that she is potentially ruining your day because she is a difficult stick is just a tad bit insensitive, not to mention short-sighted - Her spindly veins aren't there to spite you, I'm pretty sure she likes being a 'difficult' patient far more than you do! Okay, rant over.
So, even though there's been (and will continue to be) an adjustment phase and learning curve to my new normal, it's been very do-able.  My first transplant has been my measuring stick, by which I seem to compare all my current experiences to - so in regard to the first time around, this time is a cake-walk.  And while I'd credit some of that to previous life experience, a nursing degree and greater maturity (no comments please - let a girl have her fantasy) - I know that the real reason things have gone as they have is because of God's mercy, hand of protection, gift of wisdom and Christ honoring the prayers of so many!   

1 comment: