Saturday, April 8, 2017

Spring is coming: Splendor of the Storm


We’ve had a lot of rain lately – last week on my way to my PET scan I passed the river. It was high in its banks and flowing strong and steady. In some places, where the water rushed about a rock these raging swirls of water spun topsy-turvy. It was a sight to behold – beautiful, wild and yet somehow peaceful. I feel like my life is a little like that river. I feel like the rock – water raging and swelling about, distorting my equilibrium in those frantic whirlpools - Stormy seas. But there’s splendor amongst the soggy. Those roaring waters refresh, replenish and renew - they rid the river of stagnancy and the rocks of their rough edges.  My Savior is the anchor I cling to to keep from drowning. He is the river banks keeping me safe within His embrace. I don’t love the turmoil of a storm, but oh, how I love the new life that springs forth when the sun comes out. (Cue ‘The Sun Will Come Out Tomorrow’)

I absolutely love the song – In the Eye of the Storm by Ryan Stevenson. It has phrases that feel very timely and personal:

In the eye of the storm, You remain in control
In the middle of the war, You guard my soul
You alone are the anchor, when my sails are torn
Your love surrounds me in the eye of the storm



When my hopes and dreams are far from me, and I'm runnin' out of faith
I see the future I picture slowly fade away
And when the tears of pain and heartache are falling down my face
I find my peace in Jesus' name.”



Maybe you’re in the midst of a stormy season – my story is unique to me, but struggles aren’t. Maybe you’ve emerged on the other side of the storm and you’re basking in the sun. Maybe you’re coasting on still waters or maybe, your stream’s run dry. Wherever you find yourself, may I encourage you to look to the giver of all good things – the Living Water and Strong Anchor. Christ Jesus is the only reason I have a semblance of sanity – I’ve heard people ‘marvel’ at my strength and maturity. That’s all Christ folks – left to my own devices – when the storm hits I’m bound to adopt a wet-cat way of thinking. Whiny self-pity, disheveled, angry and annoyed. Not a pretty picture!

Knowing Christ doesn’t take away the storms, but with Him as my anchor, I know I have HOPE! I have security in tumultuous times and I can trust that He will smooth my rough edges and use the hurricane season for my good, His glory and a remarkable Spring season to come! And if He would do that for me - a semi-reformed wet-cat. He'd do it for you!
With love & prayers that you might find rest in the loving embrace of Christ whatever season you're in! - Vanessa

No comments:

Post a Comment