Tuesday, October 30, 2012


The past two weeks have been physically taxing.  At my last dr’s visit several of my labs had shown less-than-favorable levels so some of my medications were increased to compensate for my body’s inability to maintain healthy levels.  My hemoglobin had dropped to 8 and my PTH was skyrocketing.  The med changes seemed like an easy fix… turns out, not so easy.

Along with the med change I made the personal commitment to make a physical effort to get healthier.  I joined a gym and got an accountability partner.  The first day I sat outside the fitness center – I remember seeing a little old lady wrestle with the front door and glibly comment – ‘ Just let me do better than her’.   15 minutes later – that little old lady was kickin’ my behind.

Day two I made it through my circuit, but when I began feeling dizzy I took my blood pressure – the buzzing in my ears was a pretty good indicator that my blood pressure was low, but I wasn’t prepared to see a systolic number of less than 50.  The exercise isn’t the problem, it’s the fluid shifts that threw me off my ‘game’ HA!  This girl doesn’t just glow – I sweat, which results in a loss of fluid I can’t seem to compensate for, especially lately with these new med changes wreaking havoc on my system.

Since my last dr’s visit I’ve lost nearly 15 lbs (most of that fluid).  Nausea seems to be my constant companion, its kinda reminiscent of my hemo days.  I’m experimenting with how I take my meds, how much I take and when I take them.  Its frustrating to feel this way, but I also know that it’s a process.  It reminds me of my early days after transplant – I couldn’t keep much down than either, but with time and patience I figured out what I could tolerate.

Last night I was really discouraged after I tossed my cookies.  But the Lord used this verse to encourage me today -- Psalm 73:26  My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.’  No matter the outcome of my trial & error, the Lord ultimately is in control and He sustains me no matter the circumstances.  I am also so very thankful for the encouragement and prayers of the many friends and family I have.  I am intensely grateful for the faithfulness of God & the faithfulness of the ones who care enough to lift me up to the Great Physician!

~V

No comments:

Post a Comment