Tuesday, November 23, 2010

What's in a name?

What’s in a word?  Well, Shakespeare believed that the glorious perfume of a rose would be greatly diminished were it a…. skunkcabbage, boogerjowl or ninneygobbler.  I don’t know—does the signifigance truly lie in the word or our frame of reference?
In the life of a transplant patient (i..e. my life)  there are few words that strike a more powerful emotion as to make your heart drop to your heiny and your stomach lodge in your throat.  Rejection… yep, the ‘R’ word.  For over ten years I’ve been conditioned to dread and fear this possibility.  Now maybe if it were called fuzzychocolatebunnies or camero, hmm… no matter the name, the definition remains the same.
After last weeks Dr’s appt. I’ve been rolling another less-than-stellar word around my head – Dialysis.  I am blessed to have this treatment as a medical option – and while I am thankful for the option, I am not eager to undertake the challenge.  Because I am an adult, I get the task of making the grown-up decision about when and if to start dialysis and what type to pursue. 
So here’s what I think about Mr. Shakespeare theory – what’s in a name?   Forget the name and tackle the issue – yeah, maybe if I’d been conditioned to run when I wanted food I’d be a size 2 and miserable LOL, but God has given us the remarkable gift of experiences and free will.  So even though I have known anxiety, I also know God the Father.  He has a few other names too --  comforter, healer, great physician….. and He can fill my frame of reference with His peace that surpasses all understanding!  (Phil. 4:6-7)

No comments:

Post a Comment