Friday, June 28, 2013

Kidneys Not Included


Every once in a while I have a startlingly clear revelation – For instance – I knew from an early age that gray, really is not my color, farm cats don’t have 9 nine lives and I really should’ve had a V8.  More clarity came in college when I learned that paying money for a haircut is far better than ‘paying’ for the repercussions of a bad self-cut (p.s. – curly hair shrinks when dry).

I stumbled upon my most recent revelation completely by accident (which I suppose is a redundant statement, who purposefully stumbles…).  I was at my hairdresser’s place having my hair cut (lesson learned) – when she started talking about a guy she wanted to introduce me to.  Professionally, she thought he could help me with some insurance issues, personally, she thought a match might be in our future.  I voiced interest in talking with him professionally and was open to other possibilities.  Excitedly she told me how she really was going to ‘talk me up’ to him and proceeded to dial his number – As soon as he answered she introduced me – ‘Hey!  I have a single 30-year old gal here…. *drum roll*  who has a LOT of health problems.’   I don’t see much a future for her in advertising, or me for hearing from him J

What I learned from this experience is that I have had an identity crisis – Dialysis has become such a big part of my life that it became one of my largest self-identifying features.  Even when I’m not in the chair I have the physical reminders with me always.  Don’t get me wrong, it’s not all I think about – often I’m caught totally off guard when someone asks me what’s wrong with my arm.  But honestly, I do struggle with knowing what kind of disclaimer I should come with (Kidneys Not Included?) especially when it comes to meeting new people.

I am so much more than my illness – I’m creative, positive, and playful --- But most of all – I’m a child of the King and the person I am today has been shaped by the joys and struggles He continues to bring me through.  This revelation is a work in progress, but the Lord has truly convicted me of my insecurities and He is gently reminding me that my identity is in Him – and in Him, I am a new creation, chosen, loved and created for a purpose far beyond my insecurities.

 

Top of Form


Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come.


But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people for his own possession, that you may proclaim the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his marvelous light.


I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.

Romans 12:2 ESV 

Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

John 1:12 ESV 

But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God,
Check out this song by Matthew West -- Hello My Name Is (lyrics by Matthew West)

No comments:

Post a Comment