Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Introductions -- Saran Wrap Use Number 53...

Hey Ya'll!  If you're reading this you've either stumbled upon my page by accident or on purpose -- whatever the circumstance -- Wecome!  I invite you to join me as I embark on a journey towards kidney transplantation.  Whether you've been in my shoes, love someone that's walked this path, are one of my cherished friends/family or just curious... buckle up... the trip's bumpy, the terrain's a little rugged and my shoes are a little worn -- but I have the most amazing guide in the driver's seat -- With Jesus Christ as my co-captain the rewards are in the experiences!!! (okay, I know, a lot of mixed metaphors ---keep up ;D )
So, a little background to get things started...
I'm a ten year "transplant veteran" -- In 2000 I received a living related kidney.  I was diagnosed with ureteral obstruction as a young child, unfortunately, this came late on the heels of previous misdiagnosis.  It was also discovered that I had only one kidney (it was surmised that I was born with only one native kidney).  Following several years of diet-controlled Chronic Renal Failure (CRF) I started peritoneal dialysis (PD).  Following 4 years of PD -- which was a fantastic experience (and a great enforcer of curfew LOL), I received a new kidney.  This kidney has provided me with freedom.  In the tens years I've had it, I've visited Europe, graduated HS and college, embarked on a career... In short -- I've LIVED!  I have been so richly blessed by the experiences and my life has been enriched by the many lessons I've learned along the way.
For example...
* The traditional cowboy phrase may be "don't squat with yer spurs on", but I found it equally helpful to camp within the 6ft dialysis cord-length next to the bathroom :)
* Saran Wrap works great as water-proofing -- but it squeaks when wet  (Every seen the "Mummy" -- need I say more?)
* Cyclosporine is a great bug repellant :)

Yep, I've learned a lot...  Now I'm learning how things work on the other side of transplantation.  In March I learned that I was beginning to experience CRF again and needed to begin the steps for re-transplantation.  That brings us to the present.... This blog spot will chronicle my experiences in the hope that I can help others experiencing similar situations.  I welcome questions... It is my goal to be authentic and honest -- some days are better than others -- but through it all I cling to the knowledge that God is in control, He loves me and He may not see fit to remove my obstacles from me -- but He will help me through them!  The 1st few posts may be incorrectly dated b/c I've decided to share some of my journaling from March to present....
Romans 12:12 - "Be joyful in hope, patient in affliction, faithful in prayer".
--V

1 comment:

  1. lol I so remember you being saran wrapped for VBS water fight =0) Wow i am happy to join your blog. I have read all your posts- and love some of the same verses. The Verse Romans 12:12 is what the girls in the village and I were deciding to paint on the wall in our little living room in the orphanage. Also I have Is 40:31 on my wall and God really spoke to me through that verse, " Why just look up at the sky- when I have invited you to soar?" Love you girl, appreciate your honesty, and love the personality of your blog. Some of the bible stories you really bring to life. Seriously glad to be a part of your journey although livin across the big pond. =0)

    ReplyDelete