Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Tangled: Clinging tight to my life line while sidestepping the trip-ups



Something, as they say, is definitely ‘in the water’.  Have you noticed it too? Everywhere I turn people are having babies.  Tune in to Face Book and it a veritable baby boom….
Why do I bring this up?  Far be it from me to rain on anyone’s parade, I am just as guilty as the next at feeling the rush of endorphins when cuddling a sweet baby or exclaiming over the burgeoning ‘baby bump’.  But take it from a gal who’s not expecting to be expecting any time soon – singleness can be bliss, but it has it’s own minefields.
We all have one, a well-intentioned family-member, friend, or co-worker who just can’t wait to play matchmaker.  Shoot!  I was one myself, not so many years ago.  It just so happens…. I have about a dozen.  With so many eager-beavers it’s a wonder I’m still single --- or is it?  To date - suggestions have come to include men old enough to be my grandfather (really?) and an intoxicated fellow with “nice eyes” (I think not).  So you see my dilemma…. It could easy to feel out of the loop when everything around you says, life hasn’t really started ‘til you’ve found love.
Its easy to swallow the hype – I’m guilty, I’ve done it before, and it’s a slippery slope. (‘ I’d be happy if only I was in a relationship.’  ‘When I’m married I’ll…”    “My life will really begin when I’m married”)  Pinning your self-worth on another person can open a world of hurt.  One thing I’m learning as I traverse the world of kidney failure is that life is a precious gift, but one that doesn’t come with any ‘lifetime guarantees’.  Singleness is what I have today, how I choose to view it is my choice.
Long story, not so short  - I’m choosing to embrace the  gift I’ve been blessed with today.  I’m choosing to tune out the lies and I’m turning to my First Love.  Wow, can I just tell you… what a blessing it is as I begin to give more time to my relationship with my Christ.  The more time I spend growing my relationship with Him the less time I have to wonder where’s my prince… Why wonder, when I have access to the King—and He has my very best at heart!
So, while this isn’t much of a medical update, I did want to share with you the work that God is doing on my heart, it just feels me with overwhelming awe and joy to know that my God knows me, loves me in spite of it, and has my best interest at heart! But I'm most thankful that "that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
(Philippians 1:6)
being confident of this,
Mild Disclaimer:  The writer of this material does not wish for its contents to be perceived as derogitory towards marriage, babies or the persons ingaging in such activities.  Neither does it implicate the writer as having taken a vow of singleness.

No comments:

Post a Comment