Thursday, January 27, 2011

What did you say? Learning to speak my language...

Today, marks the one month milestone of being on peritoneal dialysis and Tuesday I will have been on dialysis (Hemo + Peritoneal) for two months. It has been filled with many experiences, but stressful and joy-filled.  Most recently I've been frequenting the dialysis office at Fresenius, while the nurses therework to clear up some bleeding I've had at my catheter site, and blisters that have developed at my IJ site (jugular access for Hemo).  Looking back I see what an education all of this has been.Here are just a few things I've learned...

Jargon is a bit different, words no longer mean what they once did -- check it out!

  • Hooking Up - to connect one's self to the patient access line & dialysis machine
  • It Sucks - Nope it's not a commentary on enjoyability of events (is enjoyability even a word?), it's what  happens at the beginning of each exchange.
  • Exchange - 1 full cycle of dialysis (draining, filling, & dwelling)
  • Dwelling -  A type of domicile, it's not... Actually its the time the dialysis solution 'rest' in the peritoneum.
  • Sleep -- yeah, well, this one is supposed to mean the same, but its been something of a scarce commodity.
See what I mean?  It's a whole new world, thankfully my friends and family haven't changed, they are as supportive and loving as ever I could ask for.  Most importantly, my God hasn't changed, praise God, He's the same - yesterday, today, and tommorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment